Monday, June 6, 2011

June 6, 2011

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for the pictures! They are perfect! Now I can be awesome like my companion! 

Castellano is going along really well. Ya, it is actually quite a bit different than the Mexican kind of Spanish,  like the double L they pronounce with a SH sound. I am still getting used to that. They also use a different form of speaking which is called Vos. It is were you take the verb, take off the r at the end, and put on an s. Lol so to ask "You have a family?" is likë ´¿Vos tenes un familia?´ Lol the first couple times people talked to me like that I was like.......what? We visited this family that has been progressing slowly in the gospel and they were talking to me in Vos and I understood quite a bit of it! It was pretty cool!  

So things that have happened so far here. Lol for one my English is steadily getting worse! But ya. Ooooh they have these things called Alfajores, which are like two chocolate covered cookies with dulce de leche in the middle and then covered in chocolate! SO GOOD! Lol I eat them so much. I am kind of getting addicted to them. I have also been having a really hard time with allergies here. It is such a pain. Mom if you have any advice please let me know. Right now I am taking 24 hour Benadryl, which helps at night. I dont know where to get any raw honey, but I will search. 

We are teaching a lot of families here in Gualeguaychu. We have a little 9 year old girl really close to baptism. Should be soon that she will be baptized. We are also teaching a family with the last name Müller. They are really cool! We gave them a Book of Mormon to read. The dad actually seems like he is just taking all of our teachings in. So hopefully he reads! His name is Orlando and he is an awesome guy! He is so nice! They run a little business in their house selling food at a little window on the side of their house. So each time we go over they load us up with candy. Lol I swear by the time I get back my teeth are going to rot! But such a nice family. One of their sons committed suicide like a year ago, so when we taught them the plan of salvation, it seemed like it touched their hearts! I could just feel the Spirit bear witness that the plan of salvation is true! 

I am so happy that Heavenly Father has provided a plan for us that we can live in our family forever. Just like you said Dad in your last email. I too am really happy to be a part of this family! I am so lucky to have such awesome sisters and brothers. I am extremely happy with who my brothers-in-law are! I love all of you! I love you Mom and Dad and I am so happy with your decision to get married in the temple and to raise us in the church. I am so thankful for all you have done for me!!!!! Paul keep working on that Eagle! and School! It will be so helpful for you! Lol and please please please!!!! play the New Zelda game for me :) Lol and remember to save it so I can play it later. Rachel you are really cool! and fun! Aprenda mucho español! Porque es muy importante y usted puede usar mucho en su vida. Hay muchas personas aqui que hablan solemente en Español. Los maestros enseñan Ingles pero es muy malo. [Editor's translation: Learn lots of Spanish!  Because it is very important and you can use it a lot in your life.  There are many people here that only speak in Spanish.  The teachers learn English but it is very bad.] They can't speak much English here. But for real! It will be worth it! Oh and remember to enjoy your summer in St. George! Steph and Ryan and Sam and Austin I love you. And I am so going to dunk you Ryan next time we play water wrestling. Lol I am NOT going to lose 30-1. Lol that was ridiculous! Steph you are awesome and have fun with your children. Allison and Jon you are awesome and such great examples to me!  

Sooo back to the mission! Lol we walk so much!!!!! It is so tiring! I am sleeping so well every night because we walk so much. We were tracting in this one area and everyone was really not wanting to talk to us. So, we were like let's leave but there was this one row of houses that we hadn't contacted yet. So, I was like let's try that row. And so we did. I was doing the speaking and I was really nervous, but I actually spoke fairly well and they accepted our message very well. They are some great people. I can't wait till we come back and teach them. Then when we were walking to another appointment, we saw a lady on the side of the road trying to change her tire. She was having a really hard time, so we helped her. She was really grateful for our help! She was like, "Are you sure you want to do that in your nice clothes?" and we were like ya! It is so awesome that we are here getting to help people. It just makes me feel soo good! 

The people here in the ward are really nice! We go around visiting them! I love it! Lol even though I don't understand about what half of what they say. Oh and apparently they have this crazy scary dog here. They call it a Dogo. It's like a huge pitbull. They are pure white and hideous! And when they bit they don't let go! They are seriously dangerous! My companion has seen a couple. So we try to be really careful around them. The dogs here are crazy also. Lol I almost got bit a couple times. When a dog comes toward you, you shout at them Fuera!!!! And then they back off, but they don't actually go away! You have to keep your eye on them or they will come back! Lol crazy dogs! But otherwise it is way cool in Argentina. 

I actually don't know my address here, but I will find out and let you know next Monday! Oh and just so you know in this mission we can only send emails to family. It's just a mission rule. But ya, I am having a good time in Argentina. My companion Elder Towner is great and is a good working missionary! It was way great to hear from all of you in your emails! Thanks again for the photos! They are perfect! I love you all! and I am happy to be serving the Lord. I know that God loves all of His children. Being our loving Heavenly Father, He wants to talk to us, and He does! He talks to us through the Book of Mormon, the Bible, Prophets, and through prayer. Yo sé que Él nos habla. Yo sé que esta iglesia es verdadera y tenemos un profeta vivienta ahora. Se llama Thomas S. Monson.  Yo sé que si oramos, Dios contestará nuestros oraciones. Como leemos en Santiago 1:5 "si alguno de vosotros tiene falta de sabiduría, pidala a Dios quien da a todos abudantemente y sin reproche y les será dada." Si ustedes quieren saber la verdad, pregunta a Dios! [Editor's translation:  I know that He speaks to us.  I know that this church is true and we have a living prophet now.  His name is Thomas S. Monson.  I know that if we pray, God answers our prayers.  Like we read in James 1:5, (now go read James 1:5 :) ) If you want to know the truth, ask God!]  I love you all! I am having a great time here! I am so thankful for all of my blessings! I now see how really blessed we are living in the States and in our family and in the church! Have a great week!

Elder Christopher Gibbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment